As most of us know that honey has immense health benefits for it contains strong antibacterial, anti-inflammatory properties and natural antioxidants, and has the ability to fight against numerous diseases and ailments (for a complete list of health benefits, please read my blog: "honey and cinnamon" and "honey bees natures gift to mankind")
To enjoy all the benefits of honey, it is very important to buy natural, raw and organic honey as there are many fake honey flooding the markets, that may not have the same benefits as natural honey would have.
Here are some the methods that you can apply to test the authenticity of natural honey
1. Always read the label. If it contains added glucose or high fructose corn syrup, it is not real honey.
2. Taste your honey. If you can taste things like flowers or herbs it’s real honey. Fake honey is just sweet, with a smidgen of “honey-like” flavor.
3. Put a small drop of your honey on your thumb. If it spreads it is not pure since pure honey will stay in one place.
4. Add a few drops of vinegar into a mixture of water and honey. If it foams up, your honey has been adulterated with plaster!
5. If your honey does not “crystallize” over time, it is likely ultra-filtered since pure honey will crystallize when you keep in your fridge or over time.
6. Add a few drops of iodine to a glass of water and then add some honey. If your honey turns blue, it has been combined with corn starch and is not real honey.
7. Place a dab of honey on the end of a matchstick and light it. If it ignites, it is pure.
8. Place a spoon of honey in a glass of water. If it dissolves it is fake. Pure honey will not dissolve in water and will sink to the bottom of the glass.
Information sourced from Daily Health Post
Honey picture Tasty Food & spices Inc.
At Tasty Food & Spices Inc, we value health and wellness, and care about the quality of food that we consume. #buylocal #tastyfoodandspices